Saturday, February 12, 2011

Count your drops

Four, five gallon jugs. That's what I can use. As much as I want. I huck it out the window when I'm done with it. A light shade of grey... not black. Black is the color when it's hard earned. So now, with the little stream a few hundred metres from my doorstep, I revel in the new lighter shade of grey. Grey water. That's what it's called.

I wonder what next. A tap? A waterline? One that goes up the path up the steps into the kitchen? Not the bathroom cause if I turn around I'm in the kitchen. Duh. I know most of you have several faucets, but I find myself  shunning even one. If I have taps I'll turn into a user and an abuser. I will turn on the tap and brush my teeth watching the water drain. Draining, a thing that goes well with the flow.

If I lug and tug my bath, heave it out and down the steps, it most certainly seems like a lot of water. But to pluck a rubber stopper or to simply flip the switch? Oh where oh where does our water go?

I'm just sayin' if I can pack or slide my buckets across the snow. Why wouldn't I? My stream won't run dry. I wonder how long till the tap would hiss and suck and drain all there is to drain. I wonder how lazy I would become, How careless, How thoughtless. I live in the Okanagan. A dry, dry day, and they bitch and sneak to keep their grasses green.

It is thoughtless to build house after massive house with not one or two, but 15 pipes with a twisty turn-on flow valve. And the pool.

I know what you're thinking. It doesn't matter the number of taps a house has, just the number of users in it. And how they choose to use or waste. Imagine though if you only allowed the use of one tap. Say the laundry room. I'd pick that sink because it's big. Go there with your five gallon pail and pack it to the toilet or tub. You'll cut your wastefulness big time and get fit doing it.

I'm youngish...

Ok I feel younger than I am. 38. It is a bit of a challenge at 4 buckets a day. When I'm 80? who knows. maybe I'll settle for a hand pump just outside the back door near the salad garden. Eighty is a long ways away.
-Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment