Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Waxed at Welkmart

The guy who owns Welkmart holds up a small plastic bag containing about a pound of shaved wax. Cinched off with a sparkly twist tie. He proudly tells us it comes with a pre-cut wick.
We had come into his extremely cluttered domain expecting to find big bricks of wax.
Dennis, with approximately 10 metres of wick in his hand, outlines our true quest.
Do you know where we can buy it in bulk?
He stops to think although he doesn't have much time for us. He's got to get back to barking orders at his employees.
Those are new, stack 'em at eye level. I want to move 'em quick.
Eye level in many cases, is less than half way up. Cool crap is stacked to the ceiling. Heaped in heaps. Piled in piles.
Well there's a place in Winnipeg, he finally offers, it's not parafin wax, it'll cost you, not cheap.
Dennis tells him you used to be able to get it. Big chunks of it.
He's got no time for that.
Well you used to get a lot of things in bulk.
Started as a retort. Ended in a nostalgic pause.
He's done with Den, though. Looks at me, assessing. Were we hippies? Yuppies? And it occurs to me now that he could most likely smell us. We were newly returned to the house in the bush and were having stovepipe issues. Dennis has been asked if he works at Helmut's Sausage. But I think what he meant was this ain't 1910, you bozos. You can have these for 27 cents each. I got them from the Bay where they were selling them for five bucks.
Dropping the tiny bags back into their box he turns and walks back to his duties as boss.
Where does he get all this stuff?
I picture him during one of his visits to the Bay, some back office with a bigwig. Holding up one of those little bags of wax.
I know these aren't moving. I'll take 'em. Ten cents a piece.
The Bay manager, rocking and thinking.
How do you know they're not moving?
But he gives in.
Another deal sealed. I imagine the King of Welk Mart patting the Bay guy on the shoulder.
It's the Bay, I hear him saying mercilessly, nothing moves in here but clothes for old ladies and housewares.
Out behind the store, giddy over his purchases of do-it-yourself candle kits. He'll move 'em.
Dennis is moving toward the box, almost holding his nose. Twenty-seven cents. He looks at me.
There's quite a few in here.
I roll my eyes, too good for Bay wax kits.
We take 'em all.                                                                                                                         -Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment