Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Mountains o' things

I have three pairs of La Sportivas, a very expensive pair of mountaineering boots, a pair of rock climbing shoes and a sweet pair of running shoes. I have a pair of Sorels which I found in Value Village for $25, brand spankin' new except for what would have been a $200 price tag. I have one pair of Salomon hiking boots. I also have the female whimsical black leather boots, two different pairs. I have one pair of heels, black. My son recently bought me a beautiful pair of moccasins and that is, holy crap, a lot of footwear for one person.
I like to buy things, so that brings me to the reason behind me thowing out far more than my share of things. Filling the dump with my garbage.
Sometimes over the years of kids and mess I've longed for just one pair of boots and a backpack all the while creating more garbage in my wake.
I hate clutter. And with six kids all of whom bring more than their share of crafty things home from school I am proud to say I've managed to hang on to a handfull of treasures. These treasures being what I call survivors of housecleaning rampage.                                                                            
Since moving back to the bush, the dream of providing for ourselves has led me to a new realization that almost anything can be useful. Especially when you only buy useful stuff. So I keep it. No garbage. I'm thinking of ways to use things I don't even have yet.
What will I do with the rabbit fur? What can we do with the chicken guts (we don't have chickens yet) dog and cat food? What about the ashes from the stove? Soap. The soapy water can settle and go the garden. The rain? The snow? The trees?
If we don't buy it chances are we won't have to throw it out.
My food packaging will be a root cellar.
We have a year's worth of garbage out back overflowing, car parts, paint cans, metal, old shoes and plastic. Can't wait to get it out of sight out of mind, because that's what we do with garbage right?
When I look at it my first thought is 'wow' followed by 'why on earth did we buy that'? Do all six kids need a camp chair? Do all six kids need a bike for every year? Do all six kids need that much freakin' plastic?
And really, how many couches can one family go through? I counted and we've had more than 20 between the two of us. And don't ask about the electronic crap that no family should ever have to live without.
I feel a dump run coming on.
Kids equal garbage.
No I didn't call them garbage, just everything they touch. Skittles anyone? Gold?
My kids are gone. People keep telling me that your kids are never really gone. With regards to turning our things into garbage? Yup, they're gone.
My new thoughts to live by hold a world of magic for me.
First off, I won't forget about my local cobbler. I have a lot of good boots.
Second I don't feel pressure to buy much of anything and as time goes by I will have that root cellar.
And a helpful little thing to remember is to darn your own socks, mend your clothes, refinish that bench, use those cans, buy things in bulk, get a cover for that ratty old blanket. Lay your own eggs and grow your own food.
The one thing I won't use is mine or Dennis' (or your's if you visit) crap, although some do. Y'know, human compost. That's just gross.
It's done, like dinner.                                                                                                           -Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment